Thursday, August 25, 2011

Friends and Frenemies

Finishing Breathless really ended up being a disappointment. Throughout the entire novel, Katie hung around a popular jock named Estella. She knew she was an awful person and so did everyone around her, yet they allowed her to rule the school. Everyone still wanted to be her, or claim to be her friend. I don’t understand why people put up with others who act like they are “it on a stick.” If someone thinks they are better than everyone else, I choose not to surround myself with that person. Why would you let someone treat you like you are dirt 75% of the time, and like you are worth something only 25% of the time? This is such a huge problem in high school. Girls nominate themselves as popular and other people subject themselves to other’s self declared hierarchy. I used to be great friends with someone who thought she could walk all over me and say whatever she wanted. Her filter needed to be turned on. When I cut off that friendship entirely, I ended up having the best year of school I have ever had! I never imagined I could be so happy! If Katie had ever learned to take a stand against the horrible behavior from her supposed friend, she could have found happiness. She finds a connection with a fellow swim captain Drew that she lets sizzle out. Drew really cared about her, and all the other students could see that. I wish the author had let the book end with a huge blow up drama session between the two girls, but sadly she let Estella have the last word. And in the epilogue, she lets Estella still remain on top with the perfect job, man, and body. Katie is still unhappy and searching for what she wants in life. Not the ending I was expecting, and not an ending that I enjoyed.

1 comment:

  1. HEY SARAH!!!! I'm sitting in Mr. Hill's class blogging and wanted to follow you!!! I like your layout, it's neat. Just wanted to say I LOVE YOU and you're the greatest friend ever. I'm exicted to see that movie tomorrow night, text me later!

    ReplyDelete