Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Searching

I was hunting through the library for another Francine Rivers book, and I turned around and saw shelf after shelf of Nora Roberts books. I had heard of her books before, but never tried one. Interested, I picked a few up and looked at them and decided why not branch out and try some random new author? She's won numerous awards, so hopefully she doesn't disappoint. I decided on the book, "The Search" because it's cover looked the most intriguing and foreboding of mystery because it has a dog barely visible through the fog. Everyone knows that you actually do judge a book by its cover. Whoever came up with the saying "don't judge a book by its cover" was obviously not an inventive person and his cover sucked, so he wanted people to read his book anyway. Sorry sucker, I wouldn't read it.

I've gotten into a good chunk of it, and i've decided that the title "The Search" really umbrellas 3 different searches that are intermixed into one completely awesome novel. First, there is a woman who trains dogs to find missing people in the woods, and really any weather or nature related element. You grow to love the dogs and their successful missions. Another search involves a convicted serial killer who has passed on his secrets of the trade to another prospect, who has been released, and is following in his master's footsteps for one reason and one reason only. To correct his most deeply upsetting mistake. And this mistake? Letting his thirteenth victim escape. So obviously, the search is out to find this woman and finish off what his master couldn't. A third search is the search for love. Now, I would have to give this book a PG-13 rating. There are quite a few moments of sexual content, that really the reader could go on without reading, but apparently Roberts feels the need to include them. However, despite the random spurts of romance, the reader grows to love and feel compassion for the two lonely souls and their unexpected need for each other.

I'm thinking about doing this book for my book talk. I had thought about doing a book called "Au Pairs" by Melissa De LaCruz, but I don't think the Jersey Shore meets New York genre would make that good of an impression on our class.

More later as I get farther into the book

No comments:

Post a Comment